21 Chibok girls regain freedom, says Presidency

21 Chibok girls regain freedom, says Presidency

SHARE

• To release their names soon

The Presidency on Thursday confirmed the release of 21 of the over 200 girls abducted by the Boko Haram sect from their school in Chibok, Borno State, over two years ago. President Muhammadu Buhari’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, confirmed the release of the 21 girls in a statement in Abuja.
Shehu, however, said that the 21 released girls were still in the custody of the Department of State Services to enable them have some rest before they would be handed over to Vice President Yemi Osinbajo.
He added that the DSS Director General, Lawal Daura, had already briefed President Buhari, who is currently on his way to Germany, on the development.
The presidential spokesman said that the release of the 21 girls followed intense negotiation between the Federal Government and the Boko Haram sect, brokered by the Swiss government and the International Committee of the Red Cross.
The statement made available to newsmen said, “The release of the girls, in a limited number is the outcome of negotiations between the administration and the Boko Haram, brokered by the International Red Cross and the Swiss government. The negotiations will continue.
“The President welcomes the release of the girls but cautioned Nigerians to t o be mindful of the fact that more than 30,000 fellow citizens were killed via terrorism. “Lawal wants the girls to have some rest, with all of them very tired coming out of the process before he hands them over to the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo.
“The President takes off shortly on a trip to Germany for a state visit. The names of the released girls follow shortly.”

NO COMMENTS