Ekiti attacks: Police arrest 13 as IGP deploys AIG to Zone 17

0
211

The Nigeria Police Force has arrested 13 suspects in connection with the violent attacks that occurred in Emure-Ekiti leading to the murder of two traditional rulers and the abduction of pupils and teachers.

The police high command revealed that the 13 suspects arrested following preliminary investigations are currently assisting the police with investigation.

This was as the Inspector General of Police, Olukayode Egbetokun, on Thursday, ordered the immediate deployment of Assistant Inspector General of Police, Abiodun Alabi to Zone 17, Akure, Ondo State, along with additional personnel and assets.

The Zone 17 Zonal Command headquartered in Akure, Ondo State, has a total land mass of about 21,853 square kilometres, and comprises Ondo and Ekiti State police commands.

The Force Public Relations Officer, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, who disclosed the developments in a statement on Thursday, noted that the deployments aimed to ensure swift restoration of peace and order in the affected areas.

Adejobi said, “The Inspector General of Police, Olukayode Egbetokun, strongly condemns the recent killing of two traditional rulers – Oba Olusola Olatunji, the Olumojo of Imojo-Ekiti, and Oba David Ogunsakin, the Elesun of Esun-Ekiti in Ekiti State, and the abduction of school pupils and teachers in Emure-Ekiti.

“The IG has therefore taken immediate steps to address the security challenges in the region. To ensure the swift restoration of peace and order, the IG has ordered the immediate deployment of Assistant Inspector General of Police, AIG Abiodun Alabi to Zone 17 Akure, along with additional personnel and assets.

“The newly posted AIG has been tasked with overseeing a comprehensive and coordinated security response to bring an end to the unfortunate security incidents in Ekiti, and parts of Ondo State and ensure proper coordination among security agencies for optimum effectiveness in tackling the security concerns within Ekiti State.”

He also confirmed the arrest of 13 suspects.

He added, “Preliminary investigations have led to the arrest of 13 suspects who are currently assisting the police with the investigation process.

“The Inspector General of Police hereby reiterates the commitment of the NPF to ensuring that justice is served, and those responsible for these heinous acts are brought to book, while assuring the public that every necessary measure will be taken to apprehend the perpetrators and prevent a recurrence of such incidents.”

The FPRO urged members of the public to remain calm, vigilant, and cooperative with the police and other security agencies, as they work to restore peace and security to the affected areas.

Meanwhile, the police in Ekiti State had earlier said they had apprehended five suspected kidnappers.

They had launched a manhunt with the help of hunters, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Amotekun, Odua People’s Congress, and other partners.

The Ekiti State Governor, Biodun Oyebanji, in response to the killings of the two monarchs, paid condolence visits to the palaces of the two communities and the people of the two towns.

Also, President Bola Tinubu, on Tuesday, condemned the killing of the two obas and assured that the perpetrators would not go unpunished.

“President Tinubu condemns this mindless and brutal bloodletting, and pledges that the perpetrators will not escape justice,” a statement signed by Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Ajuri Ngelale, read.

Also, the Inspector General of Police, Olukayode Egbetokun, on Thursday, met with the Ekiti State Governor, Abiodun Oyebanji, and the Senate Majority Leader, Opeyemi Bamidele, at the Force Headquarters.

The meeting focused on the circumstances surrounding the violent attacks that occurred in Emure-Ekiti leading to the murder of two traditional rulers, and the abduction of pupils and teachers.

This was as President Bola Tinubu, on Thursday, ordered the police boss to ensure that the perpetrators are arrested and prosecuted.