How YABATECH student, Dazan died


The cause of the death of Miss Charity Dazan is still a mystery to her friends and family. But her friends, who took her to the school’s clinic and Federal Medical Centre, Ebute meta Lagos, have given their accounts of what led to the death of the final year student of the department of office technology and management of Yaba College of Technology.

Uba Group

A top source in the deceased hostel told The Point that the tragic death was as a result of neglect on the part of medical personnel on duty at the school clinic and FMC on February 10. 2015. Dazan, who was the only child of her parents, fell ill after writing a practical examination on advanced web page design on February 9 and she was rushed to the school clinic when her friends noticed her health was deteriorated.

“Two times we took her to the clinic, two times she was rejected that there was no space for her in the sick bay and she was not referred to another hospital. Around 10pm, she couldn’t stand nor walk and she was taken in the clinic’s ambulance back to her hostel. Around 11pm, we took her to FMC but the nurse on duty told us they won’t attend to her till we pay N43,000 as admission and other fees. They told us to take her with us while we source for money that night.”

“We raised N38,00 that night from a doctor, her fellowship and friends and drove her back to the hospital but the staff insist we follow due process and that treatment will not commence till we present receipts. While she was groaning in pains, a doctor told her to shut her mouth. The nurse said she couldn’t locate her veins and there was no way they could pass any water or blood into her bloodstream. In fact, they said she had no single drop of blood left in her body and she packed up around 2am. That was how the hospital killed a final year student, whose father has stroke and mother reportedly ill for two years,” the source narrated.

The incident led to a protest as the students vandalised the college’s ambulance, burnt a 5KVA generator, and damaged some vehicles belonging to the school and individuals.

The apprehension made the management to suspend academic activities for four weeks. The Head, Public Relations Unit, Mr. Charles Oni, disclosed that the suspension of academic work was to mourn Dazan.

He said, “The academic board of the college has suspended academic activities in the school for four weeks to allow the management, workers and students to mourn the loss of Dazan, who died on Wednesday. To forestall further destruction of the school property, students are to vacate halls of residence latest at 12pm on Thursday, February 11. The management has pledged to attend to other issues and requests by students in due course.”