My wife steals my money, man tells court

Symbol of law and justice

A businessman, Livinus Uwa, has told an Igando Customary Court in Lagos that he made the mistake of marrying a wife, who had formed the habit of stealing.
Uwa made this disclosure when he testified in a divorce petition he brought against his wife, Chineye.
He consequently prayed the court to dissolve his four-year-old marriage to Chineye, citing her alleged penchant for stealing large sums of money from his wardrobe as a major reason for seeking divorce. “My Lord, I married a light-fingered wife. On several occasions, my wife stole money from my wardrobe, rendering me broke and psychologically disturbed. The last time, she burgled my room and stole N350, 000 cash.
“I reported the theft at the police station and she confessed, but the money was never recovered.
“I have reported all her bad attitude, including the stealing habits to both families and they called her to order but she would not change,’’ he said.
The complainant accused his wife, who failed to appear in court inspite of several summons, of total abandonment.
He further told the court that since they got married, Chineye had formed the habit of appearing and disappearing from her matrimonial home.
“When she was pregnant, she left the house for an unknown place and came back after she was delivered of the baby.
“She abandoned our baby when she was 10 months old; I had to engage a baby sitter to take care of her. When the baby was two years, I enrolled her in school and my wife reappeared,’’ he said.
Uwa further said that his estranged wife, “Is lazy and dirty in manners”, adding, “Chineye cannot cook, wash or sweep and I do the house chores.”
The angry businessman told the court that the tiny thread that held their marriage together had snapped long ago.
“Please, dissolve this marriage now. Her love has evaporated from my heart and I can no longer cope with her stealing habits,” he said. The President of the court, Mr. Adegboyega Omilola, said with the facts before him, the marriage had broken down irretrievably.
He held that it was obvious, from available testimony and the respondent’s refusal to appear in court, that the marriage had finally hit the rocks.
The court’s president noted that throughout the duration of the case, the respondent refused to honour court summons. Omilola said that the court had no other choice than to separate the couple.
He then dissolved the marriage.