Protest in Iwo as local hunter kills man, attempts to abscond with body


A local hunter has reportedly killed one young man in Iwo, headquarters of the Iwo local government area of Osun State.

It was gathered that the hunter met the deceased at the junction of the Latico area in the town around 3am on Tuesday, after which an argument ensued between them over the victim’s destination.

Findings revealed that after sometime some residents heard the sound of guns and upon visiting the scene, met the hunter trying to carry the body of the deceased before calling police and other security agencies.

Confirming the incident, the Public Relations Officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corp in Osun, Kehinde Adeleke said the hunter was arrested by the police and rescued from the scene which already has mob gathered around to unleash mayhem on the hunter.

She added that some youths in the area started burning fire protesting the killing of the victim but calm was restored in the area by a team of NSCDC operatives at the scene.

While confirming the arrest of the suspect, Osun Police Command spokesperson, Yemisi Opalola said police have commenced investigation into the circumstances leading to the killing of the victim.

She reiterated the command’s warning on careful handling of guns to avoid accidents and killing, urging the public, especially hunters and other security outfits to maintain vigilance with gun handling.

“The Osun State Police Command is miffed with the report/news of the shooting/killing of a man in Iwo despite continuous warnings/sensitization of members of the public especially hunters and other local security outfits on the use of guns (firearms).

“The Command is using this medium to appeal to members of the public especially the family of the deceased and residents of Iwo to remain calm and not to take law into their hands as the Command has set up a team of crack detectives to investigate the circumstances that led to the shooting/killing of the man in the town.

“Meanwhile, the suspect has since been identified, arrested and presently in police custody.”