Report of mass resignation of ad-hoc staff untrue – INEC

0
118

Uba Group

BY MAYOWA SAMUEL

The Independent National Electoral Commission has assured that it has enough personnel to conduct the November 6, governorship election in Anambra State.

INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner, Nwachukwu Orji, disclosed this in Awka on Tuesday.

Reports of mass resignation of hundreds of adhoc workers recruited for the Anambra Governorship election went viral following fears over threat from IPOB to stop the election from
holding if the leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, was not released by the Federal Government by November 6.

Orji however dismissed the assertion, saying there was no truth in the publication.

He said, “INEC is still in the process of recruiting the adhoc workers, in fact, we just finished the last training before this false report.

“As the head of the commission in Anambra, I am telling you authoritatively that we have more than enough manpower for the conduct of the forthcoming
governorship election in Anambra”, he added.

He explained that none of the adhoc workers being recruited had been issued their engagement letters. “If we have not issued letters to them, how then can any of them
resign?” he wondered.

Orji urged the media to stop aiding publications capable of causing more tension in the polity and avoid publishing stories capable of frightening the poor masses, most of whom were looking for work to do, so as to improve their lives.

“Taking INEC jobs during elections has been one means for people who do not have permanent jobs to earn little money.

“Publishing negative reports that will scare them is so bad,” Orji said.