BY MAYOWA SAMUEL
Apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, on Wednesday, said over 250 people had been killed through the enforcement of the sit-at-home order since August 2021.
President General of Ohanaeze, Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu, said such illegal orders had subjected residents of the region to untold hardships and loss of life and property, vowing that Ndigbo would not allow the continuation of such.
According to him, the sit-at-home orders have also been instilling fear in residents, making it difficult for them to come out and transact their lawful businesses.
Iwuanyanwu said, “The Ohanaeze, once again, condemns the incessant call for sit-at-home in the South East by Simon Ekpa. It is, indeed, disheartening that the people of the region are being subjected to hardships by this development.
“Unfortunately, several non-state actors, in an attempt to enforce the order, have unleashed mayhem on the people. As a result, many have been killed, maimed, and properties worth millions of naira destroyed.
“In addition, the sit-at-home orders have been instilling fear in residents, making it difficult for them to come out and transact their lawful businesses.
“The South East is known for micro, small, and medium-scale enterprises, indigenous manufacturing, fabrication, and agro-allied industries. To this end, several authorities have put the losses encountered by the people at trillions of naira on each sit-at-home day. “The region has witnessed the loss of clients and customers, who have found alternatives because of the unstable business environment. The food transporters to the South East now charge more. Moreso, insecurity and the menace of gunmen have worsened. Worst still, over 250 people are estimated to have been killed through the enforcement of these orders.”