Two artisans die while working inside well

0
81

BY TIMOTHY AGBOR, OSOGBO

Uba Group

No fewer than two artisans have died inside a well in Osogbo, Osun State, while working in it.

The first victim reportedly died in the well located within a house located around Zone 5A, Oke Arungbo Community, Dada Estate, Osogbo on October 19 while the second victim lost his life on November 5.

The October 19 victim, name unknown, was said to be a technician who was hired by the house owner to repair the coil of the pumping machine. He was said to have been electrocuted and died on the spot while his partner was rescued alive and taken to a hospital.

About 16 days later, two labourers were brought to the well to clean it. The duo were said to have been trapped while working inside it.

It was gathered that the incident happened around Zone 5A, Oke Arungbo Community, Dada Estate, Osogbo around 10: 45am.

A source around the area who confided in our correspondent explained that the two labourers came to clean a well in the area but while they were working in the well, they got trapped inside.

“When we heard of the incident, some of us contacted the fire service who later rescued one of them alive while the corpse of the other was evacuated,” the source added.
When contacted, the spokesperson of Osun State Fire Service, Ibrahim Adekunle, confirmed the incident.

He said, “We received a distress call from Dada Estate, Osogbo that two men were trapped in a well. The team mobilized immediately to the scene and was led by Principal Fire Superintendent 1, Adegoke Sesan.

“Men of the Federal Fire Service too joined us at the scene of the incident. The bodies of the two men were recovered with one alive and taken to the undisclosed hospital by a resident, while the other was dead and handed over to the police.

“The victim was one Mr. Sikiru Taiwo Tiamiyu, about 38 years old who came to clean up the well for the owner.

“Same incident occurred in the same well on October 19, 2022. The victim of the October 19 incident who was a technician that came to repair the coil of the pumping machine got electrocuted and died on the spot while his partner was rescued and taken to the hospital,” he added.